Labels

Tuesday 15 February 2011

How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluate stages? (Music Video)

When making our music video a lot of research had to be done to get ideas of what we needed to include in our music video to make it relate to our genre. To do this I needed to use media technologies in the construction and research and planning stages to make sure that I could research some ideas. The main media technology that I used was the internet. I used the internet for several things when I was researching my music video. I had to research the conventions of the music genre that my music video related to and this was UK Grime. To research the conventions I had to look at several music videos in this genre and write down the conventions that I could see being used through out each video. Video's that I looked at were a mixture of low budgeting music videos and then also music videos from well known artists. Music videos from artists I looked at consisted of ; Kano, Roll Deep, N Dubz, Skepta, Wiley and also a couple of up and coming young unknown artists like 'The Unit' and 'Sloozie'. The reason why I looked at a mixture of these artists was because they are all within the UK Grime genre so through out each video they all would have used the same conventions and I needed to look at this to make sure I researched what I wouldinclude in my video for example the locations I would use, what my artist's costume would be, how my artist would act and also the cutting of the shots in line with the beat.


One artist that my group in a whole focused on was a young artist called Devlin. Despite looking at the other various artists, we mainly focused on he's music videos to get inspiration from because they were combined with some low budget techniques and then also some high technology techniques. Most of his music videos were located and filmed in London and we used this one idea and we went up London to film as well. When looking at his music video we also realized that some effects that he done were quite simple to do and we could use Final Cut to get these effects onto our music video.


When planning our music video again I looked on the internet on websites such as Youtube, to look at how different music video's are constructed. I looked at things such as how they start, how they finish, what types of shots they have and also what the artist looks like. This was successful as when planning my music video on the story boards, I changed some of my original ideas as I thought it would look better in another way by looking at other music videos. During planning I also had to make sure that everything was planned for when we go and film. This means where we was going to film and when we was going to film. Having a shooting schedule made things easier as everything was planned out well and we know what we had to focus on when we went to go and film.

Constructing our music video and putting it all together was difficult at first but soon it got a bit easy after I understood on how to use different effects and tools on final cut. Final cut was a difficult programme to use but we got some help and some walk through lessons on how to use the programme. Things I learnt were :


  • How to use key frames

  • How to overlay two pieces of footage into one

  • How to fade out and fade in

  • How to cut pieces of footage which leads to a jump cut

  • To use the pointer tool

  • How to brighten up pieces of footage
By learning to use these different techniques on Final Cut it has helped me to developed my skills on how to use new technologies. Even if it is hard to learn at first as I have kept on trying and using different things and different effects next time I go to use Final Cut in the future I can use these things.

2 comments:

  1. Dont forget to include screen grabs of the technologies you have used. Also this blog is evidence! What can you say about using it? JIN

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you feel about using all these technologies? Have you developed skills and knowledge? Discuss this! JIN

    ReplyDelete