Labels

Tuesday 15 February 2011

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary task?

When making both of my main product and my ancillary task I had to strictly focus on the appearance of my artist and how it can relate to the genre of my music video. The reason why I had to do this was because it would not look right by having my artist dressed in costume that did not suit the style of music genre and also by then having still photo's of him for my ancillary task where it did not relate to my genre at all.
The genre of my song is classed as UK grime however I feel that in this particular MC Cabe song it is more of an R&B/Hip Hop/Grime tune. It is not the typical UK Grime song that you would hear from artists like Skepta or N Dubz it is more relaxed and chilled with a calm beat to it like 'The Streets' song 'Dry Your Eyes Mate'.
To combine both my music video and the ancillary task together I had to make my artists appearance related to the song that he was doing and then I had to bring this look over to my ancillary task. The clothes that my artist was wearing would be the type of clothes that other UK Grime artists would wear, the top name brands. MC Cabe is dressed in ralph lauren tops and also Duffer jumpers.
By him wearing this it makes him look a bit more upper class not like the typical underground grime videos that you see from the likes of UK artists just arriving on the UK scene. By him wearing these upper class clothes it relates to how we located our music video as instead of filming him in urban area's we broke the conventions of a typical grime genre music video and made him more aspirational by having him located up London near some world wide landmarks for example the London Eye. To combine the main product with my ancillary task I took still photo's of my artist, 'MC Cabe', also wearing these name brand clothes whilst he is in the studios recording.
One thing that is a bit of a downfall for our combination of main music video and digipack is that on our digipack I have edited the photo's to make them look a bit more hi-tech and also brought out the colours more to make everything stand out. However on the video it gets back to reality by everything being in normal colour with it not being edited. In one way this could be effective as it could display our artist in two ways. As most of the shots on our ancillary task are in the studios and the name of the album cover is called 'In My Zone', this could show that when he is in the studios he puts everything into he's work and this could be highlighted by the fact of the hi-tech editing. However, when it comes down to the filming of the music video, he keeps every thing real and sticks to the conventions of a UK Grime music video to show that he loves the conventions of that genre and he wants to be real towards it.

3 comments:

  1. You've talked a lot about costume here but not as much on the other elements. You do mention locations which is good but there are no visual references to this- why don't you add some screenshots? You also discuss other artists and videos but again you haven't included a Youtube link or some images. This would be a good idea and move your level up. I wouldn't worry so much that perhaps the 2 products don't mirror each other as you have mentioned some of your reasons why and explained yourself. JIN

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one post you have completed is fairly through. However you have not attempted the other 6 questions. This section is worth 20 marks. This will have a big effect on your final grade. I would strongly suggest you get these other posts complete. If you have any problems please ask for help. It would be a great shame if you didn't achieve success in this course after all the work you've put in. JIN

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've moved on from here now- Great. I still feel this post is underdeveloped. You need to have more visual imagery to structure your analysis. JIN

    ReplyDelete